Sunday, January 31, 2010

Anyone for homemade donuts?!



Don't Ask! We have a fryer; YES, I confess. Only because I wanted a safe way to make the traditional Italian Christmas dessert strufoli.
All year this fryer hides high up in a cabinet waiting for it's one time a year to perform. Except this year I still have not put it away. It was resting on the counter enjoying the view and sending tempting vibes to try it out. Do something else with me please it cried!
So before I pack it away today we (I) made homemade donuts. Delicious and much too easy!
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups white flour
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Cooking oil

  1. Mix together the sugar, milk, egg, and butter.
  2. Using a sifter, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
  3. Add the sifted ingredients to the liquids and blend to a dough.
  4. Heat enough oil in a pot to cover at least three inches.
  5. Drop spoonfuls of dough into the oil and fry until a golden brown

Have you ever eaten a warm cake donut? Fresh not Dunkin Donuts stale in the open air?

Be very careful if you try this; my taste tester can not stop at 3.

Recipe from www.lovetoknow.com


1 comment: