Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Nanny

Today is my grandmother's birthday. She was the most amazing woman, full of energy, the life of the party, beautiful inside and out. I miss her everyday.
Sometimes when I am not sure what to do I think of how she would do it and press on.
When my my grandfather was a undercover police officer in NYC she worked for City Hall in lower Manhattan. When they moved to Florida she was an advocate of the Miccosukee Indians where my grandfather was the Chief of Police and several years later when we moved to Florida she began volunteering at Cooper City Elementary where my brother was attending school. Nanny was an integral part of our family first and foremost supporting her husband in all of his endeavors and providing guidance and balance in the lives of all of us around her. She kept us together and reminded us of what is most important, Family.
She had three beautiful children (my Mom is one of them and twin boys) and a marriage of 50+ years with my Poppy her sweetheart who lived in the same apartment building in NYC. She was an only child and had two very colorful parents, Joseph and Margaret Zurzolo. She just had the knack of making you smile and most certainly touched many peoples hearts. This is a woman who would enter a room and say "I'm here"! She could have a conversation with anyone a complete stranger would become her friend in 5 minutes flat. No kidding!
My brother and I were so fortunate to have her for a grandmother (she was not even close to being the grandmotherly type). We spent every summer from June to August with Nanny and Poppy in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Most days we spent smelling like suntan oil and chlorine. We would wake up at 7:00am and be on the beach by
8:oo am. She would buy us a new raft every summer and sometime frozen yogurt!! Yummy!! After our morning at the beach we would usually go to the 5 & Dime to have lunch like a grilled cheese or a hot dog, every kids dream lunch! They would have toys and sometimes we would get a new one like a puzzle but sometimes we would just look at the birds mostly parakeets and cockatoos. Once we returned home we would spend the remainder of the day in the pool at home or playing with neighborhood kids. Since a lot of our family lived in Florida when I was young we would have many family get togethers at the Zecca house. Sunday was always a traditional Italian family meal and the more bodies around the dinner table the better.
I was pretty lucky to have her in my life, she was a great role model and taught me that I could do anything if I set my mind to it.
When I entered the 4th grade my father's job transferred him to Maryland and I actually spent the first half of the fourth grade with my grandparents. Nanny taught me how to spell ENCYCLOPEDIA. She said just sing it and you will remember. I did and she was right! She was right about most things. She was always around and active in my education and my progress as a young lady.
There were some things she would say to save us from bad language like "hooplebrain" who says this and where did it come from?! She like d to chew gum and would sing the lyrics almost in an echo when a song was on the radio, it was very endearing. She was not loud but boisterous, so that is where I get it from! She loved being Italian and Catholic and instilled in us to be proud of who and what we are.
She was also my attorney, whenever I would get into trouble I always had a defense. My Nanny, oh how I miss her with my whole heart. We had so many good laughs and good times as a family. When I started the 7th grade my Fathers job transferred him to Florida. We were always together and very close for all of our days together.

Nanny was very passionate about life, love and her family.
Even when I was at my worst she loved me. I loved her back
Happy Birthday, Ann Marie Zecca

No comments:

Post a Comment