Saturday, October 25, 2008

Apple of my Eye




About two weekends ago on Sunday we went out to Shenandoah Valley again and then over the mountains to Luray. It is our most favorite time of the year, the weather is cooling off and the air is becoming dry and crisp. It is so much nicer than the humid summers of DC. So this prompted a road trip to see the foliage and go apple picking! Below are some pics from a fantastic day! First we stopped at the Williams Family Farm but there was no picking there only eating! While we were there we watched a man making apple butter the old fashioned way from 15 bushels of apples! When we were just getting ready to leave and I overheard this woman saying they were going to a farm to go apple picking, she was kind enough to give us very specific directions to this remote location. The road getting to the orchard was unpaved and two way but only wide enough to be one lane!
We ended up picking an entire bushel of Steeman apples...Delish! It was the first time for us to go apple picking and I guess we got carried away! It was late when we finally returned home and poor Daniel carried the bushel upstairs losing a few along the way, thump thump thump they were spilling down the stairs! I am sure the neighbors really appreciated the noise of the apples and us laughing so loud! Oh well! By the time we got into the apartment we threw ourselves down on the couch, looked at the box and said what are we going to do with all these apples?

Well last weekend when my Mom was here we made homemade apple sauce and the filling for the Thanksgiving apple pie! It is all in the freezer I am sure it will be yummy!



Here I am singing into the apple microphone...silly I know.

2 comments:

  1. How cool! I wish that I could go apple picking! I've never been!! I bet that apple pie at your Mom's will be delicious...like everything else Valentino. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you guys should write a cookbook! Mother and daughter cooking! Then you could go on Martha and Rachel Ray!!

    ReplyDelete