Friday, December 12, 2008

Pushy ....


The holidays just bring out the best in us. And here I go again asking myself why do I like the city?

From the beginning of time there have been beggars. They came in many forms and disguises. Most days I quietly walk past but on occasion I have thrown some change out there. More often I hand out food, a lunch I did not eat or a piece of fruit. After Dan and I were married I had a lot of nutri-system on my hands ..I handed it out like candy.
But today I was challenged and I just could not take it anymore. It was a cold Friday and I just wanted to get a coffee.
This woman, I could see up ahead sort of harassing these two young annoyingly happy women who had been shopping. I tried to pick up the pace so I would not have to be confronted by her but no dice. She was finished with the ladies and moving on to me. It was the typical 'scuse me, lady' I just kept going and then it came. She belted out at least three expletive's in a row kind of like a song. And I snapped, something happened, I don't know I was not in the mood for this none sense. I stopped, turned around and looked at her with squinting eyes. She then has the nerve to say to me .."yeah that's right you heard me, that's what I said". I couldn't help it and I felt horrible after but I yelled" why don't you just get a job?" AND SHE SAYS "YOU ARE MY JOB"! hunpf! Can you believe this? I was floored. I had never heard this before.
She had won the verbal challenge... I suppose.
I like to think that she could not believe I stopped to confront her because she quickly J walked across 7th street. But I really think she didn't want to waste anymore time on me since 'the employer' was not paying...
I have lived in many places and traveled around but I honestly believe that DC is absolutely the worst place when it comes to peddlers and beggars.
Merry BLEEP bleeping bleep Christmas

2 comments:

  1. We've all had our good times. Remember that morning when that guy spit on me? Yeah. That was a low point for me. AND, you're right. DC is the worst. I've not encountered much of that sort of thing here in the Big Apple. Don't let it get to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, you got schooled!
    You have to admit, though, that that was a great retort. I bet she practiced that one.
    I once told someone that I drank all of my money at a bar down the street. Not my most sympathetic moment, but we all have them.

    ReplyDelete