Monday, November 3, 2008

pazzo

So it is Monday...
I ask myself sometimes why do I love the city so much? Is it because it is just so colorful?
Today on my lunch break I did the usual and went outside, talked to Dan for a brief moment and then went to Starbucks for a green tea. I look forward to this green tea they sell called Zen it has mint in it and is delicious with honey. They were out of my tea and honey, I really felt like I needed the zen today, bummer! So I settled for China green and some honey from my desk when I returned.
I sat outside for a brief moment and then I heard my que from across 7th and Penn. to return inside. Keep in mind this is a very busy corner in DC and is actually the location where two women were mowed down by a metro bus! This African American man who appeared as if he just got off of the Good Times set was yelling across the street at folks "hi ya doin" "Good to see ya" "Don't forget to vote". He was headed my way so I tried to pick up the pace as not to be confronted and trapped in a conversation with this guy. There have been many days where I am approached by peddlers and homeless people. (Last week this guy was screaming at the top of his lungs at someone who was not there and then he proceeded to pick up a brick and throw it down in front of some guy minding his own business.) Ugh! So, as I was literally in a run walk I see this perfectly normal man throwing something away in the garbage ahead of me except he too was not 'perfectly normal', he was going on about this cup he found in the garbage. He said "I am going to take this cup and put it in my pants, I am going to take this cup and put it in the back of my pants" he went on chanting this and it seemed to me that the cup was golden for him. By now I am running to the door of my office trying so hard not to make eye contact with this guy who could not have been more than 30 years old.
It is the city and I guess you take the good with the bad. I am sad for these men and any of these folks who are homeless or just have these psychological problems. But some days I just feel like 7th and Pennsylvania Ave. is a circus full of nuts.
No wonder I am so tired when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment