Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Venetian love


Lately I have been having flashbacks of Venice and it is tugging at my heart strings. Daniel and I spent our honeymoon in Venice last November and it was spectacular. Italy calls out to me almost on a daily basis. I say I will retire there but I imagine this is only a dream. Let a girl dream ok!
So today I checked the news of Italy at some of my usual web sites and came across something very sweet and a bit comical.
When you arrive in Venice from the airport you can either take a water taxi or a bus. Of course thinking it would not make a difference we chose the bus (it was more economical).
Before I go on... do not take the bus unless you have been there before! It is much more romantic and magical to enter the city by boat.
So, we arrive by bus to the main station which is bustling with people. Forget reading maps of Venice because none are very accurate. Somehow we found our way to the hotel (call it my 6th sense) managing to make it over a series of small bridges. We stayed right on the Grand Canal and loved it!
While we were making our way we noticed a new bridge being built to create a more direct route between the bus terminal and the Ferrovia train station. That bridge finally opened about 20 days ago. The designer is Spanish, Santiago Calatrava and the brige is made mostly of glass and steel. Here is a nice article on the new bridge.

http://dorigo.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/the-new-bridge-by-calatrava-in-venice/
http://dorigo.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/the-new-bridge-by-calatrava-in-venice/
This is the most comical
http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy/veneto/venice-will-not-modify-bridge

1 comment:

  1. It's so modern! I like those OLD Venetian bridges. I'm conflicted...love Calatrava...but Venice? It seems a little out of place. I'm an old woman, aren't I? How did this happen so quickly!?

    ReplyDelete